Monday, April 20, 2009

Wine

My husband has only fairly recently started to enjoy wine. I think the problem was that, since he doesn't care for a heavy alcohol taste, the first thought that came to mind was going with a "light" wine (white or rose). Problem is, the alcohol taste seems to be more prominent in those because the other flavors are, typically, milder. Once he tried some red wines, he liked them - they had enough body that he wasn't just tasting the alcohol.

It was a surprise, then, to find a white wine he really did enjoy. But man, this is one nifty wine.

The winery is Vanilla Vine (Italy), and we tried their Vanilla Pinot Grigio. Now, the first thing that comes to mind is something like a wine cooler, but this definitely does not have that flavor at all. The vanilla is not immediately recognizable as such; instead, it just adds warmth to the wine (the proprietor over at WineAlicious said it gave it an oak flavor - I am admittedly not good *at all* at identifying the wood flavors, so I'll trust him on that one, and figure that what I describe as the warm tones are what he identifies as oak), and considerably mellows it. I was just barely able to identify the vanilla in the aftertaste.

This is seriously the smoothest wine I have ever had. Not sweet - but very, very smooth.

No comments: