Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Biscotti experimentation

For the past several months, I've made biscotti for every church potluck. I'm expected to do it; there will be some very unhappy folks if I don't. ;) And I do like making them - they're fairly inexpensive, and I never have to wonder what I'm going to make THIS time.

I decided to play a bit with the flavors for tonight's singing & fellowship night. I typically make vanilla & cinnamon (itself a change I made from the Betty Crocker recipe that was for orange & almond using orange zest and finely chopped toasted almonds - I've actually never made that recipe, LOL - too much work!), but decided to try orange & cocoa (think those dark chocolate oranges out at Christmas time), orange & almond (using extracts for the flavors - remember that "too much work" above for the orange zest & toasted almonds), cinnamon & white chocolate (drizzled on afterward), and cocoa & cinnamon. The recipe in the cookbook makes two "loaves", so I doubled it (usually do anyhow!), and then made one "loaf" in each flavor.

The cinnamon & white chocolate was the big winner, with the others fairly equally sampled behind. Taking the leftovers to the study tomorrow night. Dunno that I'll stop making the cinnamon & vanilla - those are widely liked - and though everyone seemed to like the white chocolate ones, it adds a bit more cost to the recipe. Maybe for special occasions.

By the way, anyone know how much of a change needs to be done to a recipe before you can consider it "yours"? Not that I'm planning on starting up Cheryl's Biscotti Boutique or anything like that, but it's one of those "good to know" type of things, in case I were to submit the recipe for a fundraising cookbook or something like that.

1 comment:

Remodeling Guy said...

Would you believe that I've never had Biscotti? My wife says I have, but I don't think so.

In my opinion, you add one more spoonful of sugar and the recipe is all yours!

Thanks for the welcome back.

Tim